Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Blessings...and Family

We are getting ready to have family overload this weekend. Hubby's parents are divorced and have been very a long time, so we usually have 2 dinners with his family. So tomorrow at 8am we are starting off our holiday by serving. Hubby, myself and teenage son are going to a very low income, high crime rate area of town to help prepare Thanksgiving dinner for anyone who shows up. Just to let you know how far out of our comfort zone we will be, we have to call the person who is in charge when we get there so he can unlock the door for us. They have to keep it locked at all times because of the surrounding neighborhood being unsafe. But I know that God will keep us safe and if He decides it is our time, at least we will be doing His work. After we are finished, we will attend an evening meal at Hubby's Mom's house. All of his siblings and extended family will be there. It will be fun and nice to visit. On Saturday we are hosting a dinner at our subdivision clubhouse for his Dad and siblings again. Not sure who all will be there, but it will be a good time. Hubby's Dad suffered a stroke on May 1st and has lost most of his sight since then. He can see some things but not well. We are just glad he is here and able to be with us. Sunday we are traveling to my Mom's house after church. She likes to go to the cemetery to put the flowers on Dad's grave with my sister and I. It has been a long standing tradition that my sister and I give to our Dad each Christmas a box of chocolate covered cherries. We still do that, but now we have to put them on his grave. Believe it or not, when we go back in the spring, usually before Easter, the boxes are still there! We have had beautiful flowers stolen from his grave, but no one ever touches those cherries..I don't get it, but I'm glad they don't. I wont see my kids because youngest son and new bride drove to New Jersey today to be with her family. (They will be with us for Christmas, you know the routine!) Oldest son will be with his Dad, but I am hoping he joins us on Saturday.
I am thinking by Sunday night I will be feeling very blessed. I love being with family, and as ours grows, it is just the best! I also know that helping with the dinner on Thursday will be a tremendous blessing, not nearly as much to those being served as those who are serving. God works like that alot and it is wonderful. So I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I hope you get to spend time with family and people you love. If you have some time and want to serve, Keystone and 30th, 8am!!!

No comments: