Friday, September 5, 2008

Continuing....Duane


When I moved to Indianapolis, it was very scary at first. My friends, Phil, Sherry, Dennis and Eileen moved me here and then they were gone. Shortly after that, I met a new friend, Doug. and would you believe that meeting Doug lead me to a church?? Wow...God is so funny sometimes!! In fact, it lead me to the church that the minister was the brother of a very good friend of mine from my old church!!! Hazel Dell Christian Church has been my church home since August 2002 and I know without a doubt God lead me there.


My new job in Indianapolis is perfect. I work for a small CPA firm and I do bookkeeping and tax preparation. It is easy for me to say that I love my job. The people I work with are a very good group and we all work well with each other. Our office is small, we only have 5 people. I have learned so much from my days at H&R Block! Every day is new and I look forward to being here.


In the fall of 2002, just when things were good, my Dad got sick. He was diagnosed with kidney cancer at Thanksgiving, had surgery to remove a 2 pound tumor from his kidney on December 18th and passed away on May 1, 2003. I miss him so much and still expect him to answer the phone sometimes when I call my Mom. I think losing a parent so young, he was only 66, is devastating. Each and everyday I think of something that has happened in our family, with Mom or one of the grandkids and wonder what would Dad do or think if he were here. My youngest son is getting married in October and it breaks my heart that my Dad wont be there, even after 5 years. But, God is good and he brought someone into my life just at the right time who could give me the security and love my Dad used to.


My husband, Duane. We met because he was bored and was okay with spending $14.95. the whole story of that is rather long, but cutting to the chase...we met, dated and have been married for 4 years now. Duane is an amazing man, who has come to be the best friend I have ever had. Marrying someone with 4 kids and an ex-wife is not easy. We have had some serious issues, but with prayer and lots of it, we are doing good. Everyday with this man is amazing. I understand my past and what I had to go through to get to this point. I count my blessings everyday for someone who completes me like he does. I know he loves The Lord like I do and having someone like him in my life to worship with is just so cool! We have so much fun together doing some of the most ordinary things. We love working on our house, landscaping and other things. We have a huge deck on the back that we sit on daily, drinking coffee and just catching up with each other's day. He has been so good to my boys and has taught them so much. He even gets along with my Mom!!! Not a day goes by that I dont wish my Dad could have met him. I know they would be good friends. He loves college football and I love baseball, so we have attended lots of Indianapolis Indians games and IU football games. In fact, he is so nice, the football and basketball games we attended at IU were both against U of I!!! and he was even ok that I wore my Illini colors and he was dressed from head to toe in Hoosier Red!!

We are now getting into a different time of our lives. We have a 2 yr old granddaughter, Syndey, who is just the best. And on Sept 26th we will welcome new baby Leighton into our family with his Mommy and Daddy and li'sis Sydney. We are so excited to meet him!! Even though I am technically the "step-grandma", I still feel like they are part of me. Kilyssa and Travis have been so nice to let me be MeMaw too!! The other part of our lives that is changing is that we are now taking care of things for our parents. Duane's Mom had breast cancer last year and is doing fine now. His Dad, Robert, had a stroke on May 1, 2008 and is unable to see. The only thing the stroke affected was his sight and it has been so frustrating for him to deal with. My Mom is doing pretty good, just gets bored with no family to take care of anymore. We all try to keep her busy. Our lives are very full and we are blessed...Duane and I!!!

1 comment:

Falling for Ty and Zach said...

Well, you didn't TELL us you were blogging, too. Got the blogging bug, huh!? It DOES seem to keep a lot of things clearer for me. And in a few years, wehn you read the old blogs...it will come back to you crystal clear! I was never able to meet Tom's mother - she passed away at 54. He, of course, absolutely adired her. I think him speaking so higly of her has given me an inkling of what a wonderful person she was. I am sure you've done the same for Duane. Plus, how bad can they be when their offspring is so wonderful that we married them!