Friday, September 5, 2008

Same Trip, Different Road

This weekend I am helping my sister move. She has been married for almost 26 years and is getting a divorce. I have been there before, but it was a road I was hoping she would not have to travel. She has two kids who are out of high school and one is in her last year of college. She and her husband have nothing in common any longer. I know she has been unhappy for a long time and I give her credit for staying long enough to raise the kids. As a Christian, I wish she could have made it work. As a sister, I see her pain and understand. So now she is doing something she has never done before, living along. She went straight from our childhood home to being married, so this will be very new for her. Of course the kids will still be around and actually each of them have their own room in her new home. But she will be for the first time a single Mom, living alone. I think she will be surprised that she will actually enjoy it most of the time. But there will be days that she will be lonely. She has a great support group of girlfriends, who I am sure will keep her busy. But I am still very sad. I guess I was hoping she will do what I had not been able to do in the past, stay married to the man she fell in love with first. I know that God has plans for her. I know He is in her life. Now that I have traveled past these roads and am finally with the man God intended me to be with, I can only hope that she will someday have that same opportunity. But for now...I will be there for her..help her decorate her new place and be the best sister I can be.

1 comment:

Anita said...

I am glad you are blogging so I can thank you for your card and encouragement. I will pray for your sister as she goes through this.
Thanks again Penny for your prayers for me!